Welcome to the fourth post in a blog series about my manuscript! Basically every month I write about the progress I've made on my WIP (work in progress). If you missed the first three you can find the first here, the second here, and the third here.
So, December wasn’t fun. Like, at all. I basically dealt with the whole Nevernight stuff the entire time. This impacted on my health and all my projects, including this manuscript. Despite such a trying time, December 2016 was good in terms of how much writing I did. I added another 10 000 words to my WIP and crossed into the weird realm where I have enough for a novella, but there’s still a lot of work to do.
My main goal in December was to take what I already had and revamp it. Previously three minor characters (Joe, Stephen, and Regan) weren’t in the book that much even though they play a big role in the story. I had to give them more scenes and in the process, I found out so much about them and totally fell in love with them, especially Joe. One of the things I learned was that Joe and Stephen are a couple. Sometimes people say that characters take on a life of their own and with Joe and Stephen I think that is the case. They’re super adorable together especially since Joe is the calm one and Stephen is not so calm. Speaking of Joe, one thing I want to do with them is make sure that they don’t appear to be emotionless. Joe is agender and I asked one of my non-binary friends about Joe’s portrayal and they said to make sure that Joe isn't just a "robot". I took that on and I’m working on that. Also, Regan’s name changed from Tegan to Regan. I accidentally wrote her name as Regan once and the name has stuck.
Along with adding scenes scenes to what I'd already written, I wrote some new chapters. I outlined this book last year because there’s a lot happening off and on screen (which is a lot of juggle) and exploring the story on the page has been interesting to say the least.
On Twitter, I did an entire thread on my manuscript. It was a whole “One Like = One Fact About My WIP” thing and I ended up with sixty facts about my WIP! I didn’t even think that many people would be interested, but I really enjoyed writing it and seeing the response. You can check out the entire thread here if you’re interested.
Also the current name for the project is "Nameless". I named it that as a joke, because I couldn't think of a name and the antagonist doesn't have a name (yet). It's stuck so far, but hopefully I end up with a better title for it than that.
Basically, this book is shaping up to be more than just a half a dozen chapters and a few vague thoughts about where the whole thing is going to end up. I hope you’ll stick with me while I work through it. I really want to finish this and put something out there worth reading.
Chapters – 15 (including the Prologue)
Word Count – 31 095
Most Useful Research Article – N/A
Anjulie Te Pohe
Founder of Koru Mag | Mookychick contributor | Avid reader and writer of YA | Takatapui (Maori & bi/queer) | She/Them | Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org